I have some excellent, talented friends. I pulled ideas and help from a couple of said friends to create something that I'm totally proud of. And just in case you want to make your own, I'll put a little tutorial here for you.
Start with a pillowcase, washed and dried. From the bottom, measure the height you want your bag, plus 1/2 of the width you want, plus 1" for the hem. I chose 6 inches wide, 14 inches tall so 14 + (1/2 of 6) + 1 = 18". Mark and cut.
Next decide how far apart you want your straps to be. I chose 7 inches. Fold the pillowcase down the middle and measure half the width from the center and mark lines on both sides.
Sew hem on top. I choose to fold, iron, and then sew the hem because I'm not very good with hems yet.
Turn the pillowcase inside out. Match up bottom seam to side seam (or seam to side fold) to make a triangle. This will make the width of your bag. Pin. Measure six inches (or desired width) and mark the line.
Do this to both sides of the bottom. Sew along the line.
If you are adding a pocket, measure and cut pocket from muslin. I cut mine 8" x 8". Seven inches across and 1/2 inch hangover on each side that will be covered by the straps.
Fold, iron, and sew small hem on top. (I used 1/2 inch hem on top and the other 1/2 inch for the bottom of the pocket) Decide where on the bag you want your pocket to go. Measure and mark a line 1/2 inch higher (from the bottom) than the bottom of the pocket.
Line up your muslin square with 1/2 inch hangover each of the side strap lines, and line it up with the new line you just marked with your muslin hanging down towards the bottom. Mark if you want, and sew a line 1/2 inch from the line that will become the bottom of your pocket.
Fold the pocket up along the seam and iron to keep in place. I used pins to keep the pocket in place while I sewed the straps.
Sew the edge of the belting to keep from fraying. Start at the bottom of the pillowcase and line belting up with the straps line. (The inner edge of the belting will be on the line)
When you meet back up to the place you started, overlap the belting about 1.5-2", sew across the belting to keep it from fraying, and cut.
Cut a piece of the plastic canvas (small or large squares, colored or white) to fit in the bottom of the bag. You can sew the remaining piece of your pillowcase around this if you want or just leave the plastic canvas.
Ta-da! And it's 100% washable!
I also did freezer paper stencils and fabric paint to decorate the pocket. Since this was a baby gift, I did the initials of the new baby, the number was the day he was born, and filled it with baby supplies. So cute, right!?
Needed: One pillowcase. Thread, bobbin. Muslin for pocket (washed, dried - no fabric softener). One or two sheets of plastic canvas (small squares). Belting (3.5 yards)
Happy sewing and if you make one - take pictures and let me see!

2 comments:
That's my bag! So cute is right :)
Hey it turned out so cute Callie!
Post a Comment