CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 20, 2009

Good at life...

A dear, sweet friend emailed me the other day and said, "Hi Callie, You are so good at life."

Well, Tasha, some days are definitely better than others...but thank you for such a wonderful compliment and I'm so glad you've seen more of my 'better' days than the 'others'.

I seem to be surrounded lately with women who are "good at life". I am constantly inspired by the things I'm hearing that these women are working on. Women who are trying to be better. Women who are trying to have more faith, to better their relationships with their children and their husbands. Women who are trying to learn new skills and change their attitudes. And these things are WORKING FOR THEM! They blow me away.

Last night I got together with some friends to discuss a book we just read and we always talk about life. I am inspired by the choices some of these women have made. I am uplifted by their words of encouragement and their bravery. Many trickled out the door but, as usual, I was the last to leave. I chatted with two women I admire - both for different reasons - late into the night. We laughed and cried...there on the doorstep. They have figured some things out about life that I have not yet come to understand. I am lucky to have them in my life.

On a similar vein, I have had many conversations or experiences with the LDS church lately. I loosely followed the Big Love scandal about our temple. I have been touched by lessons I have heard at church. My heart has been softened by articles I read in the Ensign lately. I watched a video about the "Pioneers of Africa" that made me realize the incredible faith of those who waited so long to receive the gospel. And I watched this video (below) from a girl at Harvard, younger than me, who was grilled with tough questions about the LDS religion and I was so proud of her. She was brave and strong and seemed to be...."good at life".

So, I am happy for the attention of the church. I am realizing how important it is to be a good example because apparently a lot of people are watching. But...at the end of the day...alone in my own little world - in my own little apartment, I am thankful to have the gospel in my life. I am grateful to know that no matter how hard things get, I will always have someone to turn to. I am grateful for the focus on the family and how it is so important because it is Eternal. I am grateful for modern revelation that helps us to cope in current times and know that we are still loved by God - just as the people were back when Christ walked the Earth. I am grateful for words of wisdom by our church leaders that seem to come just when you need it the most. I am especially grateful for those incredible women I've met here in Maryland through the church and their examples.

My heart is so full....I just wish I could express it better.


Day of Faith: Personal Quests for a Purpose - 3. Rachel Esplin from Harvard Hillel on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Brewer's Ink said...

Sometimes there are no words to really describe those deep feelings, but still you said it beautifully.