CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

HELP

Okay, Folks, I've got a big decision to make this week. I have tried out a new office for a few days to see if the commute was better and I need your advice. I am going to list the pros of each office and I need to know which one I should choose. I'll need to give my decision by the end of the week...so leave a comment or email me what you think.

Alexandria:

An actual office with 2 windows, a whiteboard, cork board, bookshelf
Covered parking
Endless supply of hot chocolate and tea
Privacy (office)
I already had business cards printed with this address and phone number
I have speakers that I can plug my iPod into
Cool scanner
Free gym access/membership across the street (which I've been using)
I have a couple of friends (who are they guys I work out with - ha!)


Vienna:


Commute is only 45-50 minutes (as opposed to 60-70)
They have a stocked beverage fridge


Including beer! (what?!)


Very nice people
People in this office seem to be younger
Seems to be more business casual than the Alexandria office
Stocked drawer of microwave popcorn
Sylvia has a big bowl of candy on her desk (office manager)
There is a cafe on the 1st floor of the building
I don't have to close here (as far as I know. In Alexandria I had to close the office about twice a month)
**My boss is not here - which means working at home without having to tell him every time.
Not a pro: I have a cubicle here. Not private. No door. I am hyper-aware of my 'neighbors'. I worry when I am snacking (big snacker) that they can hear me crunching and are annoyed.


So...what do YOU think?

8 comments:

Safire said...

Hmmm...Both are really good. I think the long commute is a good trade for working out. But that's just me as I would love to have time to work out at a gym! Plus, an office! Privacy! You could take a nap if you needed to!

Anonymous said...

I have put a lot of thought into this. I work in a cubical with another co-worker and I love it. She snacks and crunches and it does not bother me at all especially when she shares. I think that you should choose the environment where you are the most comfortable and feel you fit in. Your work environment and work friends will carry you when you are having a bad day or stressed out at work. Good luck!

Carl said...

I think it should be noted that the Alexandria office provides a means to more easily skip the heavy traffic, in that you can leave early, work out, THEN get ready. Without a gym and locker room next door, your morning drive will always be dependant on how early you get up AND how quickly you can get ready.

Kavahei said...

I don't know that is a hard decison. In my personal opinion though the office is alot more comfortable like. Cubicles have always bothered me. Good luck deciding!!! :)

Ems said...

hmmmm...I think you've got good options either way, but I think the cut in commute (and potential to more often work at home) is AWESOME. and I'm with Sommer because I work in a cubicle setting and it's totally fine.

Carolyn McKay Roberts said...

If they have beer, it's a no brainer.








Just kidding.

Brittany said...

Sleep is by far the most important thing to me, so I would go with the shorter commute!

Anie said...

WOW- tough decision!!! Having a gym (that you DO use would be a BIG factor in the decision for me. Plus, like what Carl was saying, you can skip the heavy commute, work-out, and then go to work feeling AWESOME!! :) Plus it'd be a big motivator to work-out (cause you gotta get on the road)! The privacy with having your OWN office is definitely a plus as well. It is true that you gotta like who you work with though. If you've got closer friends in one office that's definitely something to factor in. Good luck with the decision!!