CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Attack of the Frogs -** POST EDIT

I know you can't see this very well (because I took it with my phone camera and it was dark outside) but this massive fella is who was waiting patiently at my door when I came home from running errands.

Let me back up a little. We have a lot of frogs around our house. When it rains, sometimes Carl and I will go walk the streets with a flashlight looking for them and in Carl's case, making them hop. It's pretty fun. You might remember that we used to have a frog and I'm generally an amphibian lover. Generally.

Back to coming home. So, this frog is giant. Probably a toad. What's the difference again? Warts? Anyway, I am fascinated by him. He is so still, won't even look at me. Maybe because he thinks I'm actually inside the door. Anyway, I stand there looking at him. He looks like a nice frog. I stand there staring at him, marveling at the amphibious wonder that "landed on my doorstep" and I see something move out of the corner of my eye. It's near the light and since it is dark outside my eyes had a hard time adjusting to see what was moving. I finally realize that a much smaller frog has climbed up the stone front of the house and is perched between stones up by the light. (here is an incredible side note: as I sat staring at the colossal frog I looked over at the stone and thought how cool it would be if the frogs would climb up it...and they did!!)

Now my fascination has turned to the little guy. He's moving. He jumps from the stone to the window frame right next to the door. See picture below.

(again, phone camera and horrific lighting)

Okay, so I'm just sure he's looking for bugs to eat. Hooray, I hate bugs. I'm trying to stare at him but the light is really messing with my eyes. I shield the light with my hand and watch him until he makes a massive leap across that window to capture his dinner. Solid work, Froggy.

I've now been standing on my doorstep, bags in hand, for at least 10 minutes. I have since sent pix messages to both Carl (who was at boy scout camp) and my dear friend, Summer (who cleverly sent a pix message back of a meat tenderizer as a solution). At this point I realize I'm going to have to get through that door.....but how? I'm worried that if I open that door I have two likely possibilities that are both unfavorable. One: Fatty Frog will jump in through the doorway into the house - he was almost leaning on the door. No good. Two: Ninja Frog up in the corner would jump on me as I walked under/past him. Also no good. I considered walking around and going in through the garage. No, too sissy.

A good portion of this story is unfolding in Summer's ears because now we are talking on the phone. She's listening to my every evaluation and my pep talk for myself trying to get through that door. I'm gearing up to just go through. "No, I'm too nervous. Pull it together, Callie, you can make it. But what if..."

And then.....Summer offers to come over with her husband and help me get through the door frogless. Ha. They live across the street so I accepted her offer. A few minutes later they show up, armed with a broom. Dave swept Biggy into the bushes (no easy task. did you know some frogs are stubborn?) Then he captures the little one in his hands. He was so brave. The way was clear, I gave thanks to my rescuers and bid them goodnight.

You know how some little kids "Love doggies" but as soon as one gets near they turn hysterical. I'm pretty sure I was that kid. And for those of my friends and family who were with me through the "bird down the chimney into the fireplace" event and the "brazilian bug on my souvenir and toilet bowl" fiasco, you will not be surprised how this all went down.

Whew. Thanks, Traxlers. You were a life saver! and I am a sissy afterall.

**POST EDIT:

8/21/09 - LAST NIGHT!! after writing this post Carl and I went out. When we got home it was dark, and we stopped in front of our doorstep because I saw a frog in the window frame again. This time on the ground. I got a little nervous but was determined to not be a sissy. So I took a step towards the door to unlock it and he started jumping around and I thought Carl was going to step on him in the commotion but instead he jumped RIGHT. INTO. MY. LEG!! I squeeled a little, and my ankle felt slimy, and then we hurried inside. Hilarious. And, I also felt a little validated on my concerns of the other frogs jumping on me or into the house from the previous story. Can you believe that happened?! Right into my leg and then bounced right off. Ha!

3 comments:

Summer said...

somehow i missed this post when you first put it up. rest assured, as long as we live across the street will we come to the rescue any time!

p.s. - i still think you should have just taken my first suggestion -- pound the suckers for frog soup :-)

Dan and Bec said...

okay that was a hilarious story! Just what I needed at 2:24 am! I would have called you to come to my rescue....now I know I would need Dave. I too am a sissy!

Stacie said...

OK that is too funny. I am jealous you have such great neighbors to come save you. I freaked out at girls camp when a daddy-long-leg was on Amanda's leg during testimony meeting and made her freak out as well. I am definitely a sissy as well but I believe to a heck of a lot more things than you are ;-)